Premium Only Plan (POP)
You are here> Premium Only
What is a Premium Only Plan (POP)?
- A Premium Only Plan (POP) is a type of flexible benefit plan. This plan was established by the Revenue Act of 1978
and is governed by IRS code Section 125.
- A POP allows employees to pay for their contributions to employer-sponsored health insurance, group term life ($50,000
limit), dental and vision coverage with pre-tax dollars.
What are the Tax Advantages of a Premiuim Only Plan (POP)?
- Increases the employees' take-home pay.
- Employees are permitted to pay their portion of health insurance premiums with tax-free dollars.
- Employees save federal, state and FICA/Medicare taxes.
- The employer does not pay FICA/Medicare taxes on the amount of salary reductions made for employee-paid premiums.